shopping in St. Martin


[edit 25 nov]

I discovered that there actually is a Benetton on the island. Or rather I've seen the sign and heard the ad on radio, not yet seen the shop, so I guess white t-shirts for less then 60 euro a r e possible;) Also saw that one of the jean shops in West Indies Mall carries Diesel, so no need to go to the Bahamas just for those;)

I would not be a women if I wouldn't talk about shopping. The truth is, it is a difficult activity here. There is a specific shop reality, meaning, it is nothing like anything else experienced hitherto. It is neither the typical large city with a plethora of all budget, all target group, all brands, all size; and it is also not the typical delayed little town reality. If you live in St. Martin, or if you are visiting with the intention of shopping for clothes there's just a few shops you're likely to look into. Although there are plenty of establishments, about 90% you would not go into. The majority of shops are focused on tourists - offering diamond and other gem stone jewellery, electronics, perfumes and similar souvenir type goods.
For people who live here, the actual shopping experience is quite limited vis-à-vis the actual shop presence. I have already written about the West Indies Mall in a
post in March, and that offers a few shops you can enjoy as anywhere else in a shopping centre; plus there are 2-4 shops in Philipsburg I look into on a regular basis and 2-5 in Marigot. Regular means in fact completely irregular, rather, if I'm in town when the shops are open I stop by. About 50% of the times I stop by, I end up buying something; but I am in town rather rarely.

The island offers supposedly tax free goods, which is great for computers, perfumes or in general for branded expensive buys. The sad reality is that if you are not after a Furla belt, Tag Heuer watch, Burberry scarf, mac computer or Hermès bag you are likely not to notice at all you are profiting from the discount. Not to mention now, when the Euro is so strong and it makes a a great difference whether you are paying a 100 USD Dutch side, or a 100 Euro French side. Let's say you need a regular white t-shirt, or beach shorts, or whatever garment which is not meant to be brand conscious, you're stuck with paying (cheapest) 60 Euro for your T-shirt, as you just can't get plain regular items at a supermarket, wallmart-similar-establishment, decathlon or a chain shop as Benetton, Zara or H&M. You're left with the uber cool, uber expensive boutiques, or the places targeting poor locals (example Backstreet of Philipsburg) where most items are India/China made, the ambience is depressing, lighting dim, fitting room scary, the variety close to zero, the up-to-datedness very behind:( likelihood of cheap t-shirts very high.

And don't be fooled by the few chic brands I flashed at you above. The island does not offer all possible high end delicacies. For Dior, Louis Vuitton and company you're better of shopping at nearby St. Barth. I had to go for my Tods to Miami, my Diesel to Bahamas - just to name a few.

Yet in this weird reality there are a few places which target moi as a client:) yey!
And I have nothing against Hermès sandals or Longchamps bags - I am in favour all the way, but I need my variety, my options, my comparesen, my free choice! Filiberto often compares the island to a large dutyfree airport shopping area, and he has a point. You have your liquor, cosmetics, high end brands, etc. But who can survive shopping only at an airport? Which is why I am so thankful for a few shops which make the island a little less dutyfree like... This post is dedicated to those places, the Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren and Cocolito of Philipsburg as well as Showroom, MaxMara, Coco Island and Ici Paris of Marigot. I unfortunately don't have pictures of all places I mention but hopefully this will be corrected soon:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Eliza,

I really enjoyed your recent entrees. I almost gave up on checking this site your entrees were so few and far in between. Please continue you bring a new prospective of St Martin.
Fran from Reno, Nv

Eliza said...

Hi Fran,
thanks for your comment. I had a period when things were not so good with my adapting...I felt I could not write because all I would end up saying would be negative. writing then would mean a self-fulfilling prophecy so I let the blog rest:)
glad you enjoy it now!