the new Bamboo Bernies

Last night, for the first time since its move, we dined at Bamboo Bernies. The new restaurant really impressed me, while the wholo Maho area impresses me very little; minus Bliss and the old Bamboo Bernies that is. I was reluctant to go and try the new location, because the complex it is in did not convey the mood I seek when thinking of dinig out. In general in the past we never felt the locales we tried in that area were really our thing. True also, we have not tried all places yet, plus yesterday realised there are a few we did not see before... So as much as I dislike generalising, we have always generalised the opinion about Maho based on singular expereinces. The reason I don't like the Maho atmosphere is that it makes me feel old at 30:( Bad feeling. The people around me give me a vibe of them feeling old...while old is not on my mind at all. And I am not referring to the age of the people...but to an aged air they potray regardless of their age. I think people who act old while being young are just unhappy people and intuitively try to avoid their company. Hence our scarce returns to the places of Maho.

But since most of the restaurants in our area are still closed, and I really wanted sushi, we decided to drive all the way to the other side of the island and give the new location a shot. What a nice surprise it was to realise than not only was the food great (no mayo in sushi!....which I happen to find constantly on the French side), good drinks, but also the interior, music and general ambience made a very good impression. Service was kind, air co not exaggerated, trendy bathroom (I always pay attention to the bathrooms, it's a fetish;), the lounge area seemed very cosy and lastly, there were no mosquitoes, as it's all indoors.
It's a shame it's all the way opposite edge of the island, otherwise I would turn into a regular:)

3 comments:

DineSXM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DineSXM said...

Eliza, what's your favorite sushi place on the French side? Have you ever been to Little Tokyo in Marigot?

The previous chef at Bamboo used to put a lot of sauce on top of his rolls, we always had to specifically ask him to leave it off. Thankfully, the new sushi chef who just started and replaced him is excellent! No more need for special requests :)

My personal all-time top sushi chef on SXM is Q, who used to be at Aqua (now Jo's Steakhouse) on the dock across from the airport. When Aqua went out of business, he moved to Bliss... I'm trying to find out if he's staying or moving on now that A Taste of Bliss is closed.

Have you ever been to Wasabi in Simpson Bay (across from Capuccino Diner)? It's a good place for takeout, or to go with friends: if you don't like to break the bank and don't care too much about the atmosphere / ambiance (there is none to speak of). Chun is the chef there, definitely knows his trade and a fun guy to chat with.

Anyway, I guess that Bamboo Bernie's got off lucky by moving from Caravanserai to Maho...

Norbert

Eliza said...

thanx Norbert for all the tips. looks like we have a whole new list of restaurants to try, as I don't know the ones you mention:)
our favourite on the French side is Tai chi, the chef has a very personal approach, at least to us, and often prepares for us off the menu. Sushi at Bliss we always enjoyed. looking forward to them opening again:)