Things I can never figure out....

1) why the hell a 6 bottle case of Evian, costs 15 Euros in Orient Bay?
2) does St Maarten have its own ZIP code?
3) is there a way to keep mosquitoes off my bedroom w/o inhaling toxic gases myself?
4) why cows are free to cross the streets?
5) why are there 2 carnivals?
6) why do I need to convince taxi drivers that the fastest way between the airport and Orient Bay is not via Oyster's Pond? (specially considering that the fare is fixed!!!)
7) why are taxis on average bigger then buses?
8) why collective taxis are to the benefit only of taxi drivers and not customers?
9) why people in SXM are not keen in giving directions?
10) why - while walking on front street - would I need a "taxi back to ship"?
11) where can I find information on buses? I mean if I want to go from Point A to Point B, how do I know which Bus to take?
12) why the propane bottle re-seller has an ad on the yellow pages which says: "home delivery" if they don't actually do home delivery?
13) why taxi drivers thing that the traffic problem in SXM is caused by rentals?
14) how many resorts/private condos/villas are they going to build?
15) why european citizens can't sign up in the french town hall of Saint Martin? Isn't that a basic right/duty of being european?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don’t take my answers to serious but I‘ll explain you some.

Nr1:
Drink water from the valve, on the Dutch side you can! Buy the occasional bottled one and fill up! Or a special drink bottle what you can clean real well. Saves tons!

Nr2: NO! Make one up if you need one, note in address book.

Nr3
Several. Keep door closed, screens, zapper, mosquito net, use expensive cream usually reserved for babies available in French side drugstores for # Euro.

Nr 4
To keep Jess occupied, and everyone else can vent their frustrations.
Cows don’t mind, it slows people down who are always in a hurry. That’s not good for your heart.

Nr5: So we can party twice.

Nr 6, Nr7, Nr8: Sorry, taxi driving is not my thing.

Nr9: They know the way, not the map!

Nr10
Reply with humor!
Dress to warm for a tourist, carry an umbrella on a perfect sunny day and on one that looks like rain, put the local newspaper under your arm, carry lots of paperwork, do not stop every 3 meter etc.
After 25 years sometimes I am still asked the same question. I simply reply “I’ll take the bus, or I need to go ………..
A T shirt with the text “I am not a tourist” might help as well.

Nr11
Ask a bus driver, be patient and nice no schedule available. Or anyone else who often uses a bus.

Nr12: My gas bottle, I use the large size, is delivered! you might have to pay extra. I do!

Nr 13: Close your ears.
Nr14: Too much!
Nr15: They speak French over there and probably do not read your blog.

Have a nice day!
C

Unknown said...

Very good answers!!!!!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I actually checked it out today.
Time from Orient Bay to Westin Dawn Beach was EXACTLY the same.
Route via oyster pond was curvier but took longer. Other route was more direct (a bit longer in true mile distance), but took exactly the same time. So there you have it!