grey skies

As insane as this may sound to many people living north of us, I miss the cold, the grey, the fog.
Whenever I would move south, I would always experience this, so I am not surprised now.

Today the skies were grey:) I could not see Saint Bart's. Even though it often rains between the 2 islands making Saint Bart's invisible, today was differnet. For the first time I did not see the horizon... It was an amazing view. The sea no longer had it's caribbean turquise aspect and far away the dark blue would fade into the grey of the sky. Wow, I felt as if I had woken up in another country;)

Seriously speaking, I don't miss the constant grey of Amsterdam, the days, and weeks without seeing a ray of light. But what I do wish I had more of is variaty. It's bad enough that you can hardly notice the change of seasons here. Out our window you always have the same view. So on top of there being little differentiation between seasons, I sometimes long for waking up to a differnt sky then the day before. Just give me a little, a tiny little variety. Constance is somethign I am not used to in weather conditions. Not caring to check the weather forecast, not bothering to put my nose out the window to see how may layers I need on; these are things I have comepletely ceased to practice haha. As it is the same, everyday.

So I am glad today was different:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, too soon to notice the seasons in Sint Maarten.In the first year, you simply do not!

The sky however is not the same every day on this side of the island. Fog, snow and ice would be a disaster as the houses are generally not equipped for that type of weather, minus the fog.

Now’s the lazy weather season, the season when people who live here get out the long sleeves and light blankets and complain about cold. Cold = actually chilly. Their bodies simply have adapted to the climate.

The days have less hours of sunshine.
Here the sun climbs over the hill after seven in the morning. In summer months it will be after five!
Now is the time to do some work around the house because you do not immediately feel too hot.

And do not worry come Hurricane season June 1 (unfortunatly) you will have to keep an eye on the weather!

My blogger ID does not work today
C