airport taxi dispatchers

Today is the 4th time that I land on the island. And by far the least friendly welcome:(
On the plane I was reading a book about the human need for being and remaining in control, so to a certain extent I understand what took place and can justify it; for the rest, I am just astonished.
I breezed through passports, no queue, no lengthy questioning/explaining why EU citizens don't require a carte de sejour, lastly the usual no baggage. I was out on the street within 5 minutes of leaving the plane. That was a wonderful feeling. Until it got rained on by another not so friendly island folk.
There must have been no other plane landing prior to mine for a while, as the waiting area was clear and there were hardly any people in front of the exit. I happily walked out and headed for the first taxi in line, hoping that since there is no one else around, I might get a solo ride, rather than getting a tour of the island with 10 other tourists, before being brought home.
As I was already trying to make eye contact with my lady taxi driver, I was called to a halt. A man in a uniform, which means little here on the island, bearing in mind the plethora of uniforms around, asked if I needed a taxi. Without really stopping, I turned my head towards him and replied yes. I guess my not stopping upset him, because he changed his tone and objectively impolitely demanded to know where I was going. His colleague and he, the 2 for sure nondegree, close to neandertals told me to go to the first taxi. At which point I thought this is even more Kafka than I initially assumed. I did get upset and said that that is exactly what I was doing, ie going to the first taxi!
I can't remember the exact words, but the conversation followed a pointless exchange of bordering on rude ripostes. He claimed I HAD to stop and inform that I was seeking a taxi, plus tell them where I was going. Grounds for which he showed me an illegible tag on his uniform shirt and a sign on his booth which read TAXI STAND. I was so taken aback by his imposition of authority that for an instant I did stop and stand speechless, trying to figure out if it was island humour I was not realising, or whether some sort of new nazi laws were implemented while I was away, and now I in fact did have to inform uniformed people of where I was headed.
So buffled and upset I finally said I was going: home. This was either not heard by him and his colleague, or simply was unappreciated, as they both screamed once more where I was headed. So purposely low I muttered my destination, after which again I was pointed to go in the direction I was already going. Low, because I don't like the big brother attitude of the US airports, and since that was where I was coming from, I had a strong need to rebel against having to inform of addresses and other data. Certain things are private and I really disagree with having to share so much..
So why should I have stopped?? The man claimed I had to because that was his job to dispatch people to taxis, and that he was there in service of his government. HA! I am seriously not sure what kind of service he did for me, for one. Secondly, not sure what citizens of this island pay taxes for, because of it's to cover his salary, I'm sorry for every NAF wasited.
I honestly wish I had more positive items to post about SXM, but it's either my attitude towards this place that attracts negative events, or it's just plain honest truth, there's more bad than good to write about.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not ALL Taxi drivers are good ambassadors! Often applying book knowledge or USA experiences do not work on the island.

Next time look @ the taxi number, or number plate and/or the name of the taxi driver and place a formal complaint to the Taxi Association.

If you can arrange for other transportation and/or an amiable taxi driver do so!
You live here for now.
C

Eliza said...

re :Not ALL Taxi drivers are good ambassadors!
that's teh thing, it was not the driver who behaved this way..it was the airport dispatcher...whatever that is....never heard of a dispatcher who physically stands in front of the taxi and whos job is to point you to the 1st one in line...drivers I know can be weird and unfriendly, that's universal...these guys though claimed to be government officials haha!
so far I must say, that in terms of taxis, sxm has been very normal. we have not had any problems here with them, or at least we have had much more elsewhere haha!

Anonymous said...

Still I would complain @ the Taxi Association!
C

Eliza said...

re:Still I would complain @ the Taxi Association!

haha, I have a feeling complaining here on my blog, gets a wider audience, more respect and broader feedback haha
plus here I don't have to get into another tension raising discussion, which might be the case if I try to complain at an institution;)

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the Islands! Even the smallest amount of power WILL be abused so be prepared and struggle through. You will find it worthwhile. I have used Farid and his wife's service(Big Time Taxi tel +599 556 7240 ) for nearly 8 years. They'll turn your experience around.

Eliza said...

thanks anonymous:)
I most likley will not need them anymore, but perhaps other blog readers will:) so thanks for sharing

Unknown said...

Thanks for your taxi recommendation. We have a rental property on the island (www.villacaribella.com) and just received a request for a taxi service. I will recommend Farid and his wife.